November 4, 2009

Toothpaste

I have been an avid user of Crest toothpaste. I admit it. It cleaned well. It tasted good. My personal favorite was Crest Pro-Health Mint (click on the link to see the MSDS).

I now do not use regular conventional toothpaste. Why? Well that's a good question. Let's look at the ingredients that were in my Crest Pro-Health that are listed on the MSDS and what we know about them:

Glycerin - Used usually for water-binding properties. Keeps products moist instead of drying out. Derived from fats and oils, classified by FDA as a sugar alcohol.
Hydrated silica - Sand, or a component of sand. Used in glass-making. Known to cause lung disease and cancer when long-term (i.e. occupational) exposure is present. (See this information on the CDC website).
Tribasic sodium phosphate dodecahydrate - The only way for me to do this justice is to quote straight from the MSDS: "Handling: Wash thoroughly after handling. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Do not ingest or inhale. Use with adequate ventilation. Discard contaminated shoes. " Ummmm...ok. That's a no. I don't want that in my toothpaste. (Click on the chemical's name for the MSDS).
Propylene glycol - Used in a variet of applications including food additive. According to the MSDS:
"The substance may be toxic to central nervous system (CNS).
Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage." Ok...that makes this one another no-no in my house. Especially considering it's in so much food and other products!

So that begs the next logical question: What would YOU do for a Klondike bar?
I mean...
What do you use instead of the conventional toothpaste?

Well, we have personally switched to Tooth Chips. It's "soap for teeth". Or so says the website. In the short time I've used this, I've noticed that my teeth have gotten whiter, and it still does the job. According to the website, it's made with organic oils and essential oils. No artificial sweeteners, silica, glycerin, etc.

There are plenty of other natural and good-for-you toothpastes available, but remember.....what you put in your mouth will be able to get in your blood and in your digestive tract.

This is just another little lesson in 'reading labels 101', brought to you by The Crunchy Christian.

Interested in seeing the MSDS sheet for other P&G items? Check out this list. It has information on all of their products.

No comments:

Post a Comment